Friday, May 30, 2008

Names

The other night...around 11ish I'd say, while Adam was trying to go to sleep I started a conversation about names. I think it started when we both couldn't remember a friend's brother's name. His name is Michael, and its weird that we couldn't remember it since that is Adam's middle name. However, as I boldly pointed out to Adam, Michael does not fit him at all!!!! I guess I have attached certain names with certain stigmas and personalities....and Micheal makes me think of a guy in tight jeans wearing a wife beater..i dont know where that comes from but its definitely the opposite of my Adam. So then I suggested some more fitting middle names for him, such as dirt, or earth or grog..you know something that reminds you of being outdoors. I mean why can't we use those words as names? So then since Adam thought my names were dumb I asked him for suggestions for me and he said Kinzie Blair....now i like the name blair but he totally did not get the point. I would have picked SEQUIN or SAPHHIRE...you know something flashy and fun!! Now if this is making you laugh, don't worry I was having a hard time keeping a straight face while trying to persuade Adam that anything could be a name. I actually do like my middle name, Marie...all the girls in my family share it as a middle name. However, I'm afraid that Adam and I have decided to break that tradition. When we adopt, if we get to pick a name I have picked out 3 girl names.....they are a little different but Adam approves of the first two. The first is Tipton Pearl.....Tipton so that we can call her Tip and Pearl b/c it was my grandma's middle name and I love it! The second is Piper Selke...Piper b/c ITS ADORABLE and Selke because it was my grandma's maiden name and I love it! The third is Saylor....just b/c its different..i haven't decided on a middle name, maybe I'll let Adam pick it out....or maybe we could keep Marie for at least one of them. As far as boys go I used to really like the name "Guy" or "Nathaniel" but I think I have grown out of them. We were told by our good friend Mark Murphy ( before we were even dating ) that if we had kids we should name our boy "clay"...b/c Adam means "from the earth" and Kinzie means "roots"....so sticking with earthy names is a definite..and we actually like Clay.
Ok..back to the real reason why I wrote this blog...names. When my parents were picking out names they were almost settled on Margot (with a silent t)....PRAISE THE LORD that they changed their mind. I am aware that there are plenty of nice, pleasant women named Margot, but all I can think of is Anne Frank's sister, and everything that goes along with that story. They heard of McKenzie and kinda went from there. In preschool I decided that I wanted to be named Dasha.....grew out of that pretty fast. I do remember having a babysitter or something who called my Candy..not sure why, or why I answered to it but I'm glad it didn't stick as a nickname. Here are some names and what they remind me of...you are more than welcome to comment on them, and please dont get offended by anything I say....its just my opinion.
Caroline-is probably one of my top 10 favorite girl names, its very sweet and southern and my favorite camper at Greystone was Caroline
Joel-I have three friends named Joel and all of them are smart so . I also associate a very good relationship with that name since all three of my Joel friends have become close friends to me and Adam.
Chelsea- For some reason I have never liked this name, UNTIL my beautiful cousin Chelsea came along...she is sooo smart and competes in pageants.
Pearl-a very classy woman, very confident
Peter-a red headed freckly boy who chases sheep
Caleb-a very shy, pale kid
Candy- a stripper (except for Adam's aunt Candy-she's a doll)
Micheal-a guy wearing tight jeans and a wife beater
Guy- a man smoking a cigar with spiky gelled hair
Jessica-a cheerleader
Jennifer-the head cheerleader
like I said these are just images that come to my mind for certain names....did you know that Andrew and Emily are the top names for 2007 ?

1 comment:

Mark Andrew Murphy said...

Michael means, "who is like God." It is the name of an angel, and that angel is an archangel, if I'm not mistaken. He is a battle angel, a warrior, and leads the other angels into battle, I think. I think that's what an archangel is, but it also could just mean that he's one of the leaders. Gabriel is another archangel I think.

Pearl is awesome, I agree!

I would tell you the names of my future kids but they are secret (not so secret that I wouldn't tell you, but secret enough to not tell the internet) :D