Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Christianity For Sale

preaching Biblically and not letting the church look like the rest of the world".That is the end of a commentary on a book called "The Courage to be a Prostetant" by Dr. Wells. Our pastor, Reggie Weems, is reading it and commenting about it on his blog. I have been really torn lately between what seems to be two different agendas in the church. I know where my heart stands and that is what makes it difficult to see where others believe they are justified. We have had 3 pastors that have resigned in the last month. One isn't quite sure where God is leading him, one is leaving to go to Florida and the other is leaving to start another church in Johnson City(please let me add that I am not speaking for these men, their personal doctrine or thier integrity. In fact I respect all three of thier decisions to leave and pray that God will bless them tremondously in thier new ministries. I do not know any one of these pastors well enough to know where they stand and why they feel like now is a good time to leave. I do not want to assume anything but I am going to talk about what I have seen).
I have seen and felt tension about the ways we "market" our church. I do not personally know why we need to glam up, spice up, adorn or modernize the gospel. This seems like a big punch in the stomach....you know, like what we know as the Truth isn't good enough. I will be the first to admit that I enjoy a good song with loud instruments and clapping. I also enjoy metaphors in the preaching that give me a visual for certain ideas presented.However, we have to draw the line somewhere. The church is not a comedy club where you will laugh until you wet your pants. It is not the local theater where you should sit and stare aimlessly while being entertained. The church is not the local school where you are graded on your knowledge and expected to keep up (socially,academically) with everyone else. The church is not a country club where your membership dues allow you to surround yourself with others just like you who want to "hang out". In other words the church should not look like the rest of the world.It is set apart. The ministry of the church is to first glorify Christ. This can be done in several ways but as christians we should be concerned with the truth...the BIBLE. When we start diluting it, skipping over it and adding to it for the sake of making it a more consumer friendly book, then we have failed.As far as ministering to children goes, I think there is a point where they need to be less entertained and encouraged to desire something better, something deeper. I am all for VBS and Disciple Now (that is where I gave my heart to Christ). BUT, when those things are simply done for the mere sake of getting our numbers higher and to have a good time we are missing the point. Children are so impressionable, which is even more reason to teach them the truth of the gospel, gory parts and all!I don't want to come off as having a nasty attitude towards people who market thier church but I do want to voice my opinon on what I feel is a dangerous road to take. When we start treating members as consumers, we are only going to offer them the things they want....which excludes punishment for sins, the real presence of satan, the wrath of our God and the wickedness we are clothed in. We all need to be presented with and challenged with God's word. Why else would we exist after conversion? If the point was to accept Christ then we would be taken up in a cloud after our profession. Instead we are to live out our lives in a way that produces fruit, evangelizing our world (our own small world too) and sharpening ourself to mirror the image of Christ.I would love to hear what other people think about this. I do not wish to impose my beliefs on anyone, but in turn I will never not speak up in fear that I will offend someone. Please keep Heritage in your prayers as we go through this transition period. Please remember Adam and I as well as we take over the Newlywed Community Group....we want to be very sensitive to our groups needs and to the direction God is taking us all in.

I took this blog down for a day or two because of some comments made. I wanted to think about what I was saying and what I was implying. Adam encouraged me to put it back up, as well as several others. I only wish to find out where God stands on this issue.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are some mighty deep thoughts young lady - keep studying the Word , don't compromise the truth, and have faith in God to work powerfully in your life!

Brittany said...

woot woot for people who aren't afraid to say what they think!