Wednesday, September 17, 2008

As of today...

As of today I am a Woodland Elementary employee. The job is with Educare which is an after school program that is considered the best in Johnson City. Its put together so that students spend time in organized centers/activities...think Montesorri style. I am responsible for coming up with games, art lessons, cooking lessons and helping them with homework. I interviewed last Monday and wanted the job immediately. Yesterday I got a call at 10 and was asked to start work today. I went and met with my boss and she said "we will stay with you through next week and then you are in charge"....my stomach turned but I smiled and said "great". This is my 3rd job..I know, I know. I am an overachiever. However, let me break down my schedule for you. I work 8-10 every morning at my GA position (where i am writing this) which pays for my tuition and gives me a monthly stipend. Then I head to the bookstore where I work from 10-2 (only MWF). On tuesday and thursday I head to class from 11-12:30. Then from now on I will go to Woodland from 3-6 daily. See..its not that bad...I only have 3 classes and one is online..the other meets on Monday night. The Woodland job has great pay and I know it will be good experience and look great on my resume. Adam and I both agree that this will be the only time in my life where I will have 3 jobs....when its all compiled I only work 37 hours a week...have about 5 hours of class and work the occassional weekend for my GA. I will also get to keep my Educare job throughout my student teaching and since Woodland is a year round school there will be extra hours during thier two week breaks between semesters. God really did bless me with this job. They have a very focused education philosophy there...which is good...kids need consistency and will thrive when the teacher is consistent in thier discipline. They are also huge on bullying and sarcasm...its just not allowed. They even told me that if we don't move this summer that I have a position there waiting for me.
Adam and I are looking foward to this next weekend as we are going camping at Laurel Falls with some friends from church. Then the next weekend we will be heading to Auburn for the AU/ TN game....I can't wait to see my friends and AU family there!! I just hope that gas goes back down by then..key word "hope".
Other exciting news is that our friend Cassie's mom got her test back and she does not have cancer. Cassie was worried b/c there is a strong history of cancer in her mother's family. Luckily the mass is benign and the other masses are from arthritis. Another praise is that our friend's Tiffany and Dave had to take thier 6 month old to Vanderbilt for open heart surgery last Thursday. Ethan, was born with down syndrome and needed to have the surgery soon. He had to be placed on a feeding tube during the weeks leading up to the surgery so that he could gain weight. The surgery went well and Ethan is doing great...they are watching him to make sure he doesn't develop phuenomia but other than that he is on the road to recovery. Can I just tell you that he is the cutest head full of bright red hair!!!
OH YEAH- I almost forgot. I went to this party with my friend Brittany at a photography studio. They have a girls night out once a year where they give out prizes and invite you to look at everything they offer. We met Anna there and the three of us walked around the studio (an old historic home) and oohhhhedd and ahhheedd. We ate really good food too! At the end of the night they gave away prizes.....I won a party for 20 catered by the same people who were catering that night...I am thinking we will use it for our AU/AL party and whatever is leftover for Thanksgiving (they are usually close). Brittany won an hour long massage....LUCKY!!

2 comments:

Caroline Schell said...

Congrats on the new job! That sounds like a good opportunity. I really like the Montessori style of learning. And I'm super jealous that y'all are going to see AU people! I miss it a lot. I'm actually watching a movie right now, and John Travolta's character is wearing an Auburn shirt.

Mark Andrew Murphy said...

NO WAY! He's wearing an Auburn shirt...that's AUesome! I'm listening to Celtic music while studying...ok that has nothing to do with anything but it's going on now, so I typed it :D. Maybe I'll find a girl who can sing Celtic music in an Irish music--ohh that would be so cool.

But ANYWAYS, Kinzie 37 hours and any amount of school is wowing to me...I'm taking 10 hours of graduate school this semester, with a 17-20hr/week job, without a spouse or even an intended, and it is so difficult, lol. Much love, lass and lad (the Celtic music is gettin' to mah, methinks),
Mark