Tuesday, September 2, 2008

CAUTION....this could be classified as my soapbox.

So, this weekend we headed off to camp, hike, play frisbee golf and enjoy the weather. However, this has taken me away from the computer for 3 whole days (gasp)....days in which I have been thinking and discussing politics with any and everyone I can. While I was talking to someone about Obama's view of abortion they said "well that isn't so big that it would keep me from voting for him".....HELLO!!!! In my mind, the way he deals with abortion says a lot about his character. He is saying that if you get yourself into trouble, but don't want to deal with the consequences then just get rid of the problem...even if the problem is an unborn child. He is saying that there are not consequences for our actions, and that the answer is not to be more responsible but to give people the option of facing that responsibility. I am well aware that there are "unwanted pregnancies". My cousin was raped at a party, gave birth to a beautiful little girl and then died 2 years later from AIDS ( which she got from the rapist). That was an unwanted pregnancy but not an unwanted child. If you are on the fence about the seriousness of abortion let me show you scripture that might change your mind. The book of Amos (which is what my community group is studying -good job Morgan) is set up as different war oracles to 6 different territories surrounding Isreal. Amos is setting up the wickedness that occured in all the places and the destruction that God sent to show Isreal its fallen ways and the punishment they also deserved.
In Amos 1: 13 This is what the LORD says:
"For three sins of Ammon,
even for four, I will not turn back {my wrath}.
Because he ripped open the pregnant women of Gilead
in order to extend his borders,
If anyone else gasped (as did Brittany and I) while reading this then you get the picture. The Ammonites not only killed the people of Gilead but ripped open the women and killed what would be the next generation. Sounds a lot like abortion huh?This is the punishment that God promised to Ammon.

14 I will set fire to the walls of Rabbah
that will consume her fortresses
amid war cries on the day of battle,
amid violent winds on a stormy day.

15 Her king [g] will go into exile,
he and his officials together,"
says the LORD.

He promises to destroy thier own boundaries, take away thier military headquarters, send violent winds and last but not least send all authority figures into exile. Which brings up another good point. As my friend Brittany pointed out last night, you can not take a back seat when it comes to this election. We are given authority to vote for a leader who will represent our nation. Therefore, we are just as responsible for the actions of America as they are.

I know that some people don't like to discuss politics or just don't care but I think you should count yourself lucky that you live where you are given the right to care!!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

AMEN, you go girl!

Don't worry, I think everyone should be able to have their little soap box. I have many. :)