Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BUGS=ANNOYING

I'm not kidding at all when I say that BUGS (any kind) really ANNOY me!! I went for a run yesterday at Willow Springs and although I have already been out there 3 times to pick blackberries I saw some huge ones that I could not resist. However, the bugs found this prize patch too. They are very territorial, those june bugs and yellow jackets. I mean I would have to run up, snatch one and run away as they threw themselves at me like a suicide bomber!!! I hate the sounds that June Bugs make too.... It sounds like an amped up version of that symphony song Flight of the Bumblebee...which is nerve wracking anyways. Adam thinks I'm crazy but I promise that when he is with me that can smell MAN and they don't attack as much. I know the people at Willow Springs think I am a nutcase, darting in and our of bushes, screaming and flailing my arms. I took Jerri with me last week and talk about CRAZINESS....we scared each other more than the bugs scared us....people probably thought we were beating on each other as much as we screamed. In the end I have collected a freezer bag worth of blackberries. You couldn't pay me a 100 bucks for that bag since blood, sweat and tears have gone into it. So far I have made a blackberry cobbler and 5 jars of blackberry jam..YUMMY. I was thinking that should invent a temporary bug bomb...that just puts the bugs into a deep sleep for like 10 minutes, just long enough for you to grab all the berries and high tail it out there before the bugs wake up. Oh AND...the bugs have totally ruined the country, down home, warm, grandparent memories I have while picking blackberries. When you think of berries, cobblers, june bugs and summer you think of grandparents...well I do. Now, that the bugs have become my sworn enemies I think of nothing but survival while out in the battlefield called Willow Springs Park!!!!!

2 comments:

angela said...

please share where you are finding blackberries at willow springs.

Mark Andrew Murphy said...

HEY, I'm back! Now I'll be more responsive because of a reliable internet connection, here in my new home base of Grand Prairie, Texas!

In regards to your post, that must have been a strange-tasting cobbler, what with all the blood, sweat, and tears in it :P

much love,
Mark